Emerging Philosophy of Teaching and Learning is the first module of your PGDE. It builds on the introduction you had to the conceptual framework during Summer Institute. This module will help you to accelerate your ability to make more informed professional judgements when making decisions in the classroom.
In this module, the Teach First training days will help you to develop a critical awareness of self and effective decision-making in the classroom, while your university’s training days will focus on developing your subject- and phase-specific knowledge and pedagogy.
The resources here in this module will help you to undertake your assignment, to prepare for and to take part in the Teach First training days, and to further develop your practice as a teacher and leader.
The resources are divided into the following sections:
- Session 1: Your Emerging Philosophy
- Session 2: Learning Theories
- Session 3: Further exploring others’ practice
- The Case Studies
- Session 4: Presentations, Reflections & Next Steps
- Module Resources
Frequently Asked Questions
What web browser should I use?
The Open edX platform works best with current versions of Chrome, Firefox or Safari, or with Internet Explorer version 9 and above.
See our list of supported browsers for the most up-to-date information.
Who should take this module?
This module is for trainees in the 2019 cohort. Emerging Philosophy of Teaching and Learning is the first of four modules on your two-year PGDE programme.
When should I access TeachFirstX?
You will need to access TeachFirstX during sessions:
- at Teach First training days to access in-session resources
- in between Teach First training days to access session preparation
- in your own time to access the general module resources such as the reading list